20 Brilliant Podcast Statistics You Should Tune in to in 2020
Do you want to grow your customer base in 2020? Are Millennials and Gen-Z your target audience?
If that’s the case:
I’d suggest you focus on both visual and audio content. And by audio content, I mean podcasts.
Here’s the deal:
Podcasting is the future of storytelling. It’s an effective medium to connect with and inspire people around the world.
According to the podcast statistics I have collected for you, there is no better time than now to capitalize on podcasting. It is growing rapidly in terms of popularity and listener base. Unlike other marketing tools, podcasts help inspire conversations on any topic.
That is what you need to keep people hooked and engaged with your brand.
So, if you’re ready to include this strategy in your marketing plan, read this post to learn about podcasting in detail and how to leverage it to increase your customer base.
Fascinating Podcast Statistics (Editor’s Choice)
- Currently, there are over 850,000 podcasts with over 30 million episodes.
- 41% of podcast consumers prefer downloading podcast episodes.
- 60% of all podcast series are downloaded from Apple.
- 43% of people use Spotify to listen to podcasts.
- 50% of all homes in the US are podcast fans.
- 51% of the people in the US over the age of 12 listen to podcasts.
- 67% of the podcast audience comprises people aged 18 to 44.
- 39% of SME business owners are podcast users.
- 32% of fans listen to podcasts at least once every month, while 22% listen once a week.
Global Podcast Statistics
First, let’s take a look at how many podcasts are there.
1. Currently, there are over 850,000 podcasts with over 30 million episodes.
This shows that podcasts are here to stay. Podcasting is not a passing fad, and it is gaining in popularity in the US and across the globe. To second this, let me share with you some interesting podcast download statistics that are indicative of the fact that people love listening to podcasts.
2. 41% of podcast consumers prefer downloading podcast episodes.
This is almost half of the total podcast listeners. So, if they download your podcast on their phones, you have a better chance of connecting with your audience and communicating your brand message to them.
3. 60% of all podcast series are downloaded from Apple.
Wow, that’s a big share! Whenever you create podcasts, make sure they are available on iTunes, which has a huge market for it. You can’t miss out on it. When talking about downloads and podcast popularity stats, Spotify is another platform to tap into.
4. 43% of people use Spotify to listen to podcasts.
Spotify is a popular platform for listening to podcasts. It has 207 million users and 500 million downloads on Android devices.
Podcast Demographics 2020
This ongoing popularity of podcasting made me wonder about its listenership and demographics. So, here’s what I found out…
5. 50% of all homes in the US are podcast fans.
That’s over 60 million homes. Even if a single person from each of these homes is a podcast fan, I can strongly say that podcasting will become the future of storytelling.
Let’s dig deeper to see who listens to podcasts.
6. 51% of the people in the US over the age of 12 listen to podcasts.
(Convince & Convert)
That’s approximately 144 million people. And let’s not forget that the market is growing exponentially. Thus, podcast listenership is expected to grow further in the coming years.
7. 67% of the podcast audience comprises people aged 18 to 44.
Now we know exactly who’s listening to podcasts. If you’re targeting young people, podcasting is the way to go. One of the top reasons for its popularity and usage among the younger lot is that they are more comfortable with technology and adapt to it easily.
Here’s another interesting statistic about listenership I came across:
8. 39% of SME business owners are podcast users.
This means that new business owners are using podcasts to make it big. That sure is a clever strategy to breakthrough and gives the industry giants a good run for their money.
9. 32% of fans listen to podcasts at least once every month, while 22% listen to it once a week.
This percentage translates into nearly 90 million fans. That’s a significant audience size, especially for audio content, given that there is so much visual content around us. It shows podcasters are being heard.
If you are wondering where people listen to podcasts the most, the next stat has the answer.
10. 49% listen to podcasts at home, 22% listen while driving, and 11% do so at work.
Around half of those who tune in to podcasts do so from the comfort of their homes. This makes sense because the shows are so engaging that sometimes you just need to listen to the entire thing. And that can be impossible if you’re at work.
The next statistic explains this even better:
11. 80% of podcast fans listen to full episodes, podcast statistics reveal.
This truly makes podcasts one of the best consumer engagement tools. In order to engage more people and get them to talk about your brand, you need to start podcasting sooner rather than later!
12. On average, people spend 6 hours and 37 minutes weekly listening to podcasts.
This is another interesting fact, which highlights a positive sign in podcast growth statistics. Until 2017, consumers spent only five hours per week listening to podcasts. However, in 2018, this figure jumped by a massive 32% and is now nearing the seven-hour mark.
Podcast Usage Trends—Most Listened to Podcasts on the Internet
What is the most popular podcast? How about the top-earning one?
Don’t go anywhere:
I have it all covered for you in this section. Get ready to be amazed because the numbers are jaw-dropping!
13. Joe Rogan earned $30 million in revenue in 2019 from his podcast series The Joe Rogan Experience.
Ranked among the top five highest-earning podcasters in the world, Rogan is a UFC commentator with the gift of the gab. The money he’s making from podcasting says it all. Below are some other top-earning podcasts.
14. My Favorite Murder, The Dave Ramsey Show, and Armchair Expert ranked among the top five highest-earning podcasts in 2019, after Joe Rogan podcast earnings.
My Favorite Murder by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia made $15 million last year, followed by The Dave Ramsey Show with a total of $10 million. Armchair Expert by Dax Shepard made $9 million.
Podcast Market Value— Podcast Advertising Statistics
Based on the ongoing popularity of podcasts, I’d say jump on the bandwagon to get heard and break through the noise on the internet. After the statistics listed below, I’m sure you’ll agree with me.
Let’s take a look:
15. Advertising during a business podcast offers brands a 14% lift in their sales.
(The CSI Group)
Monetize on the ad time during a podcast. This will help you communicate your brand message to a highly targeted and engaged podcast audience.
16. In 2018, businesses spent nearly $497 million on advertising through podcasts.
(Interactive Advertising Bureau)
This is an incredible 53% increase in podcast spending. In 2017, the total podcast ad revenue was $314 million.
17. According to podcast listener statistics, 55% of listeners don’t skip ads.
The majority of podcast listeners pay attention to ads because the advertisements are integrated into programs seamlessly and are mostly read by the podcast host.
18. 54% of podcast consumers think of buying products advertised during a program.
(Convince & Convert)
That’s more than half of the audience. This surely makes podcasting a new and result-driven advertising medium for businesses looking to generate sales and grow their customer base.
Podcasting Growth Trends You Can’t Deny
To create a great podcast program, keep these podcasting facts and trends in your mind. What is the best length for a podcast?
Read on to find out:
19. The most popular podcasts last year were 53 minutes long.
(Pacific Content on Medium)
This is the ideal episode length. But, it can vary, depending on the frequency of your series. For example, 53 minutes is great if you podcast weekly or bi-weekly. However, if you are planning to podcast semi-daily or daily, then keep it no longer than 15 minutes so that your audience doesn’t get bored.
20. Wednesday is the best day for releasing a podcast.
No wonder – a total of 809 episodes were published on Wednesday last year at 2 AM.
A well-conceived podcast provides an effective and impactful way to deliver content. It’s cost-efficient, it increases customer engagement, and it builds long-term relationships. So, use our podcast statistics and trends discussed above to capitalize on it smartly and strategically.
Here’s the scoop:
Whether you want to start your podcast series or advertise on it, it’s a win-win for your brand. Make sure the content is top-notch and stirs excitement to keep your audience wanting more.
Get started now!